Back by popular demand, it’s The Saalt Period Cravings Cookbook; Volume II! This time we are doing things a little differently, we are highlighting YOUR amazing recipes. So many of you sent drool-worthy period cravings that we had to try them all. Get ready Saalt Squad; I have sugar, spice and everything chocolate coming your way!
Our first recipe is for those of you that still try to stay a tad healthy during your period. I am not one of those people, but I know a lot of you are and you deserve treats too! This snack was recommended to us by Yareline from South Dakota.
Yareline has been using cups for a while now. She had tons of tips for those new to the cup life. Her best tips and tricks include finding out exactly where your cervix is, learning how to bear down properly and that the punch down fold is the easiest (for her). We love it when cup users share their advice with us!
As I said, healthy snacks are important and Yareline has got you covered; Energy Bites with Cacao and Pumpkin seeds. I’m drooling, and I am sure you are too.
Energy Bites - Ingredients
- 1 cup raw unsalted pumpkin seeds without the shell
- 1 cup raw whole flax seeds
- 1 cup pitted Medjool dates, packed
- ¾ cup cacao powder
- ½ tsp of sea salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 ripe banana
Energy Bites - Recipe
- Grind the pumpkin and flax seeds in a coffee grinder
- Add the ground seeds, pitted Medjool dates, and cacao dates to a food processor
- When the seeds, dates, and cacao powder becomes the consistency of sand, add in the sea salt, vanilla extract, and banana.
- Transfer the dough from the food processor to a casserole dish lined with parchment paper
- Press into an even layer and put it in the fridge/freezer until it is firm.
- Take out the dough r and flip onto a cutting board, removing the paper after.
- Cut into squares and coat each side with more cacao powder
- Store in the fridge in an airtight container
Our next recipe was recommended by Morgan from Hampton, Virginia. When she isn’t saving lives as a full-time beach lifeguard she is creating the most delicious grilled cheese like, ever. As we saw in Period Cravings; Volume I, cheesy goodness is always the right choice! All Morgan had to say was, “I love my grilled cheese with gouda cheese” for me to know she meant business.
She has been a Saalt user since this past summer! She wanted a more sustainable and healthy option other than tampons, and we wholeheartedly agree. Having a cup makes her long days as a lifeguard significantly easier, as well.
Her Gouda grilled cheese is going to change your life.
Grilled Cheese Ingredients:
- Bread of your choice (I recommend sourdough)
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 slices of Gouda cheese
Grilled Cheese Recipe:
- Heat a pan to medium-high
- Add tbsp of butter to the pan
- Butter the bread slices evenly on both sides
- Add gouda to bread and place in pan
- Toast on either side evenly, letting all cheese melt until it becomes ooey gooey goodness.
- Place a thin layer of mayo on bread before melting for an extra creamy taste
- Add Bacon for crunch or jalapenos for spice
Our final recipe is courtesy of Amber, from Maryland. She combined two of my favorite things: chocolate AND bacon. A revolutionary idea if you ask me! As if that didn’t sound delicious enough, her recipe is for cake. I am happy dancing as we speak.
Amber has been using the Saalt Cup Regular since this summer. She told us that some of her favorite parts of the cup were the design and the grooves at the bottom for a better grip. “The company behind this cup alone is amazing. They truly care about the customer and do the utmost to help and make the person have a good experience!”
She has been cooking with her grandma since she was five years old, a.k.a she is a Chocolate Bacon Cake deliciousness expert. Without further ado: here is Amber’s favorite recipe and additions!
Amber - Chocolate Bacon Cake
Ingredients: Chocolate Cake
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar packed
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 4 eggs at room temperature
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups plain hot coffee
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup dark unsweetened cocoa powder
Ingredients: Buttercream Frosting
- 6 cups confectioners sugar sifted
- 2 sticks of butter
- 1 1/3 cup dark unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream may need more or less
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Generous pinch of salt
*Preheat oven to 325. F.*
- Grease and flour 3 (9-inch cake pans), set aside.
- Mix together granulated sugar, brown sugar, and vegetable oil.
- Mix in eggs one at a time.
- Mix in vanilla extract, buttermilk, and hot coffee until combined. Set aside.
- In another bowl sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cocoa powder.
* At this point, mix together dry and wet ingredients*
- Pour batter evenly into prepared pans
- Suggested 2 cups per pan
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- Suggested: Do not overbake! Bake on the middle rack.
- Remove from the oven.
- Once warm to the touch, carefully place on a cooling rack to finish cooling.
- Make the frosting by combining powdered sugar, butter, and cocoa powder until crumbly.
- Gradually add in heavy whipping cream
- Suggested: Keep adding until you achieve YOUR desired texture
- Mix in vanilla extract and a pinch of salt.
- Heat your pan to medium-high.
- Add 2 teaspoons of oil and about 1 1/2 cups of bacon bits
Suggested: the amount of bacon is up to you! Amber LOVES bacon.
- Let them sizzle until they are nice and golden.
- Drain and garnish.
*You can add more bacon or less. That part is up to how Saalty 😉 or sweet you like your cake!*
Recipe taken from Divas Can Cook and modified by Amber!
We’re always looking for more delicious recipes to try out, so comment below and let us know your favorite!
Read more posts like this
Openly talking about periods and period education on SM helps end period shaming. If you liked this article please share and help us break period stigmas and educate. Thank you!
The perfect read for all who bleed.
Subscribe to receive all you need to know about the period flo + perks, pointers and discounts.
Saalt Period Cravings Cookbook: Volume II
You can never have enough recipes to satisfy your period cravings.
New Year, New You - Benefits of Being in Tune with Your Cycle
Pssst…these are the best kept secrets to becoming your best self.